Saturday, March 30, 2013

The Phantom Tollbooth Vocabulary




CHAPTER ONE:

Tier One Words:
       1. Book
       2. Rules
       3. Traffic
       4. Birthday
       5. Smaller

Tier Two Words:
      1.Course
      2. Attached
      3. Depicting
      4. Genuine

Tier Three Words:


     1. Dejectedly  
     2. Punctuated
     3. Erected
     4. Impractical


Which Words To Teach and Why...

 I think it makes sense to focus on the tier two words more since these are higher frequency words and are used more often throughout the novel. This was they are prepared to see and comprehend these words that come up more often. I would also focus some of the tier three words since students could strengthen their ability to use context clues since each of these words come up throughout the book in a way that the context could really help them determine an accurate definition of the words or at least help them understand the meaning of the full sentence.


Lesson Plan...

I would begin by showing a list of the tier three words their page numbers. I would ask students to help me explain what context clues are since at least some of them have already been familiarized with context clues. Then we would do a couple examples that I would have prepared with tier three words in them. Then we would do the first one - dejectedly- as a class by all going to the page in the book and then the class would take turns giving a definition of dejectedly and explain how the context clues helped them decide that. Once we get through all four of these words we would begin reading the chapter and I would have highlighted many of the tier two words and when we get to them I would have students discuss the meaning of these words and connect them to the context they're in. At the end I would give a brief assessment with tier three words from chapter 2 in their sentences to use the context clues to help them decide on a definition. Then they will use this context clues skill as well as prepare them for these words when they read the next chapter.






2 comments:

  1. To what extent do you think the mini-lesson provided would help students learn new vocabulary in a meaningful way that goes beyond relying on dictionary definitions of words?

    I think the kids, having the ability to give their idea of what the word means in the context used, will see this as an authentic, worthwhile activity. I like that you didn't have them going to the pages in the book, finding the word and then using a dictionary to find the actual definition. I remember having to do that so many times throughout high school and it was so pointless.

    I also think it is a good idea to have them go through and find these tier three words before reading. They will know the word when they come to it, both in context and pronunciation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This definitely goes beyond a dictionary definition understanding because they are using context clues within the story, and they are actually discussing the context--not just the few sentences around them. I think another way you could go deeper in understanding these words, is to have a discussion where they can use these words in a context they have been in, or a hypothetical one if they cant think of one. This will be another meaningful way to practice that makes it personal to them.

    ReplyDelete