Reading Lesson Overview
Reading Lesson 1: Mia
Target Areas: Prosody/Inflection
Why/learning needs? My MT and I have completed numerous running records and
reading assessments on all the students in the class. From these assessments,
we have noticed that although Mia is able to read the passages with speed and
accuracy, she lacks prosody and inflection. In hopes of helping her become a
fluent reader, I would like to focus on teaching her how to gain inflection in
her voice, to read with prosody. Thompson, Chapter 6 discusses fluency and what
it means to be a fluent reader. Some strategies included in this chapter
include choral reading, Readers Theater, guided reading, word recognition
teaching and interactive reading. My rough plan is to do a type of Readers
Theater. I’ve chosen a book that is mostly conversation between a daughter and
her mother. I will read the role of the mother and I plan to have Mia read the
part of the daughter. I’m going to direct model by showing her how I read with
inflection in my voice, as if I were talking in real life. I will point how my voice gets higher and
lower and how the end of a question sounds compared to the end of a statement,
etc.
Reading Lesson 2: Bailey
Target Areas: Reader Factors
Why/learning needs? As with Mia, Bailey is reading at grade level based on
running records and short reading assessments that have been completed in the
classroom. However, I think Bailey is missing out on some aspects of reading
comprehension. I want to work on predicting, connecting and summarizing with
Bailey. I think she would be able to have a deeper connection with the story if
she was more invested in the plot and story line. These topics are discussed in
Tompkins Chapter 8. It lists these aspects along with others and calls them
reader factors. I think Bailey could benefit from extra help in all of these
aspects, but I’d like to focus on the predicting, connecting and summarizing
parts. I plan to do this by reading a book called “Boomers Big Day” about a dog
whos family is moving. There are many parts in the book where readers can
predict what will happen next, connect one part of the story to another, etc.
Then once we’re done I will ask bailey to either write out a short summary of
the story or tell it to me orally.
No comments:
Post a Comment