1) YOUR CONCEPTUAL UNDERSTANDING:
At the beginning
of class, before we even uploaded our definitions of literacy, I was under the
impression that literacy was one set definition. I’ve learned since that
literacy is just the base and that there are many different types of literacy.
The definition of literacy that I posted back in February was for media
literacy. I ended up completing my NL project on emotional literacy, so
unfortunately I never learned more about media literacy past the definition.
When we first
started this project, I wasn’t sure what emotional literacy was. I made an
assumption that it was just about knowing why you feel the way you do, but as I
did my research, I found that it was much more than that. Back on March 11th,
we posted in our book club blog about what we were learning about our specific
literacy and I found a lot of information while researching. The findings of my
research have changed my conceptual understanding of literacy in general and
more specifically about emotional literacy.
I think there
were a few readings that helped solidify the idea that there were numerous type
of literacies, but I think the thing that affectd my understanding the most was
the new literacies project. I learned a lot about emotional literacy just by
doing research and making my weebly, but I learned even more when I compared my
weebly to other students’ projects about emotional literacy. It seemed like
with each project I learned something else about emotional literacy (along with
each other type of literacy). It was so nice to explore a bunch of different
projects verse having to read pages and pages of articles.
As I reflect on
this project and my past experiences, I feel like I’ve been given a lot of
opportunities to become literate; not only digitally, but emotionally,
culturally, numeracy, etc. I can remember, back in elementary school, instances
where my teacher would ask me “why are you sad?” or “what happened that made
you feel this way?” I didn’t realize until now that they were actually helping
me become emotionally literate. They got me talking about my feelings at an
early age and 20 years later I’m very good at communicating my feelings and
understanding why others act and react the way they do. Also, in terms of
digital literacy, I can remember numerous projects in middle school that had me
working on PowerPoint, using the Internet to research, learning how to use MLA
on research papers, etc. In fact, in high school I had a class each day that
required me to make things using the computer and the Internet. Things like
business cards, PowerPoint presentations, resumes, a graduation binder, word
documents, etc. It all seemed very trivial, but I wouldn’t be as technological
savvy as I am today with out it.
2) CLASSROOM IMPLICATIONS:
I think that providing ‘effective literacy
instruction’ means teaching all types of literacies to all students, no matter
their ethnicity, gender, interests, social economic class, etc. After my research and completion of my
project, I realized that teaching these literacies takes time; that we need to
expose our students to quality instruction and activities for the ideas to
really sink in. Also, we need to start our students off young; preschool would
be a great place to start, especially for emotional literacy. Creating an
environment that is comfortable, accepting and judgment free, where kids feel
free to say, “I don’t understand” or “can you explain that again.”
As teachers we also need to realize that we
can’t just have students read during literacy sections. There’s so much more to
being literate than just being able to read words on a page and comprehend
them. We need to give students exposure to cultural, digital, numeracy,
emotional literacy, etc. We need to create well-rounded students and we can
begin by implementing these types of literacy instruction into our classrooms.
The research that I’ve done for this
project and the projects that my classmates have created have been very eye
opening for me. I never realized that we, as humans, need to learn about how to
be emotionally, culturally, digitally literate. I thought it was just something
that came with age. I think that this project was a good use of my time because
I now know that as a teacher I want to incorporate all these literacies into my
classroom and make sure my students get lots of exposure to digital technologies.
I never grasped how important these topics were until I completed this project
and reviewed my classmates’ work on different literacies using different
technologies.
Now that you have engaged in
this project and reflected on your own learning, what are the implications for
you, as a teacher, to implement your ideas about literacy in the K-6 classroom?
I’ve always been a huge supporter of
technology in the classroom. I remember as a student, using technology was a
great motivator for me. I was always excited to use the laptops or go to the
computer lab and learn how to do research or make PowerPoint presentations. I
think due to all the exposure I was given to technology, mostly in middle and
high school years, I’m very fluent with technology today. I think it’s
important to teach students about digital literacy, to give them the exposure
to computers, the internet, creating online projects, researching, etc. The
times are changing and technology is more prevalent than ever, both in the
classroom and out in the real world. It would be hard to get a job without
having at least basic computer sills. If an employer sees that a student knows
how to use PowerPoint, weebly, prezi, etc., that will better their chances of
getting a job; technological skills make people more employable.
Digital literacy refers to the
ability to make, organize, evaluate, locate and create information using
digital technology. As a teacher, I will provide my students with multiple ways
to become digitally literate. I want to create projects that allow them to
choose their technology, I want to make homework assignments that need to be
submitted online with the use of the internet, I want to make research projects
that require some internet research, etc. Students need to be taught how to do
these things. They need to understand how to research topics, search things
online, upload documents or pictures, format papers, etc. These are all skills
they will use on the regular in their real life, which makes these activities
very authentic and worthwhile. As a teacher I’m going to make it a goal of mine
to make sure each of my students has a grasp on different technologies and are
on their way to becoming digitally literate.
In terms of my new literacy,
emotional literacy, I will also be teaching my students about this. After doing
all my research, I realize how useful and necessary it is to be emotionally
literate. It doesn’t matter if you’re 4 or 44, being emotionally literate can
only improve your quality of life. The thing about ‘teaching’ emotional
literacy is that is doesn’t require a lesson plan, or a day to teach. As a
teacher, I can help my students become emotionally literate by direct modeling;
modeling correct behavior and reactions to other behavior. I will make my
classroom a comfortable environment where kids feel its okay express feelings,
which I’ll explain are natural. I can ask them how they feel and ask them to
tell me why they think they feel that way. Some songs, books, classroom
posters, activities can also help educate students on being emotionally
literate.
Teaching about emotions to all aged
students requires a good deal of support. Younger kids don’t know how to
express their emotions, so often times they cry. A teacher would need to
provide emotional support by scaffolding the student to express themselves by
teaching emotional vocabulary, so when that student feels that way again, s/he
will have the correct terms to get his/her emotion across without crying. Older
students won’t cry as much, but they may act out with violence, which needs
support in itself. As a teacher, you may ask the older students questions, much
like you would with younger students. Make them feel comfortable, and like you
respect them and it’s more probable that emotional literacy will be learned.
Valerie, can you increase the font size of your post? I'm having trouble reading this! Thanks!
ReplyDelete