Dear Mr. and Mrs. Hiatt,
I'm just writing to update you on your childs' progress in the classroom. I'm very happy with the strides Mia has taken, she's growing and learning everyday. Recently I completed an individualized reading lesson with Mia. Throughout the semester I've noticed Mia often times reads in a monotone voice. The objective of the lesson was to explain to Mia what it meant to read with prosody (inflection, emotion, etc.) and have her practice while reading a book. We did some examples and non-examples of readings with prosody, which Mia did excellent at. At the end of the story, I think Mia had a good understanding of how to read with prosody and she was able to complete the book with this mindset. Being able to read with prosody is a factor influencing becoming a fluent reader.
It would be very beneficial if you could continue this reading lesson at home. Reading a book a day and helping Mia focus on how she sounds while reading will really solidify the idea of reading with prosody. If you're interested in helping in the classroom, I have an open door policy which means you're welcome at any time. We work on reading lessons each day. You could aid me in completing these readings lessons and get some exposure in how to aid your own student on the home front.
Overall, Mia is a wonderful student who I enjoy having in my classroom. She's a funny, intelligent, personal girl who is improving everyday.
Thanks
Valerie Kipp
No comments:
Post a Comment