Monday, February 11, 2013

Spelling, Spelling

Discuss the ‘stages of spelling development’ evident in each sample (see Tompkins, p. 169) and give examples. Design a ‘literacy center’ activity that would help your students improve their spelling and explain why you think it would support students’ learning.


My students are in the 1st grade. I pulled 3 writing samples from my students daily journals, all from the same day. They were asked to write about their weekend. After looking at the 3 samples, I believe they are all in the emergent stage. They don't write in journals, they write on pre-printed paper with a big box on the front that they are expected to draw a story in which relates to their writing. Along the lines of stages of spelling, student A shows evidence of stage 4: syllables and affixes spelling. She included inflectional endings such as the ing on sledding and used the right form of there in the sentence "there are sleds." The other two student samples I see stages of Stage 2: letter name-alphabetic spelling. They both spelled words as they sound for example, house = hos, woke- wok, doctor = doktr.

I would set up literacy centers to include lots of long and short vowel sounds, consonant blends and digraphs. For long and short vowel sounds, I would have cut out and laminated pictures of items with long and short a (or which ever vowel is necessary) and I would have them work in groups of 2 to sort them into short and long vowel. I would have another literacy center where students get an opportunity to write whatever they want, like a free journal entry. Another center would be tracing high frequency words, then writing them on their own, etc. With these types of centers, kids will notice vowels and their sounds within words. With more opportunity to write, kids will become better. Practice makes perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment